Join us on October 17th for our Welcome Home Gala
The warehouse will be closed the last 2 weeks of August for drop-off donations.
The Warehouse will be closed the last two weeks of August, from August 19th through September 3rd. We will not be able to accept drop-off donations when the warehouse is closed. Our regular warehouse hours will resume on Wednesday, September 4th.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ITEMS OUTSIDE OUR WAREHOUSE WHEN IT IS CLOSED -- anything left outside could get ruined and we will have to pay to dispose of it!
Warehouse will be open on Saturday, September 21st to accept drop-off donations.
NOTE: Please do not leave any items at the warehouse when we are not open - the furniture gets ruined in the rain and we have to pay to dispose of it!
Now It’s Your Turn Foundation Provides Volunteers for Furniture Sharehouse’s NEW “Third Saturday of Service”
On Saturday, September 9th, six volunteers from Now It's Your Turn Foundation spent two hours working at our warehouse on our FIRST-EVER "Third Saturday of Service". Volunteers helped re-organize the warehouse – reorganizing the jumble of chairs and lamps in the back room, sorting through and matching up dining room tabletops, legs, pedestals and leaves and preparing a storage room for some renovation work – much-needed "tidying up" that we can't get to during the week when we are serving clients.
Furniture Sharehouse's NEW "Third Saturday of Service" has a two-fold purpose. First, it allows us to be open to receive drop-off donations on the THIRD Saturday of every month from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., which we hope will encourage folks to bring their furniture to us and save us on expensive trucking fees. And secondly, it provides volunteer groups like NIYT an opportunity to help us out with a couple of hours of vital warehouse organizing on a monthly basis.
Now It's Your Turn Foundation's mission is to host, support and provide funding to various community organizations with the goal of empowering ordinary people to do extraordinary things. www.nowitsyourturn.org. Their members are young people (mostly twenty-somethings) drawn from the tri-state area, and they organize monthly volunteer opportunities for their members, and periodic multi-project days of service. This was their THIRD time volunteering at the warehouse in the last 18 months – that makes them certified "furniture wranglers" in our book!
Tempur-Pedic, United Way of Westchester & Putnam Donate 106 Mattresses
On June 2nd, Furniture Sharehouse received a donation of 106 mattresses from Tempur-Pedic that was made possible by the United Way of Westchester and Putnam’s Gift-in-Kind Program.
Kate Bialo, Executive Director of Furniture Sharehouse, says beds are the biggest need clients have.
“Every day furniture is thrown away because people don’t know where to donate it. At the same time, we see others who are in such desperate need” said Naomi Adler, Chief Executive Officer of the United Way of Westchester and Putnam. “Our Gifts-in-Kind program helps put an end to the waste by getting donations to the charities that need them most”.
The Manning family of Yonkers was one of the first families to receive some of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses. Their four young sons, who had been sleeping on broken mattresses,were having a hard time in school because they couldn’t get a good night’s sleep. “They are tired during the day because of the restless sleep and their concentration isn’t where it needs to be” said Cassandra Manning. “This will be a tremendous help for our family and I am just so very grateful.”
Furniture Sharehouse also thanks John and Connie Levene and CONRI Services of Hawthorne, who donated free storage and transportation for the mattresses so they can be distributed a few dozen at a time.
Patch Volunteers Volunteer at the Warehouse
On Feb. 17, five volunteers from The Patch spent several hours at the Warehouse, organizing rows of sofas, chairs and bookshelves and removing three truckloads of unusable furniture.
"I was glad that we could donate our time to the Furniture Sharehouse for the latest Give 5,” said Rich Bobé, a Patch advertising manager. “It was very rewarding to know that our work, along with the continual work of Kate Bialo and her regular volunteers, was helping families in need get the furniture throughout Westchester."
The Furniture Sharehouse thanks The Patch for their help.
To read more, see The Patch article.
In the News
- The Harrison Review, December 27, 2013: Furniture Sharehouse Looks to Grow with Need
- The Patch, March 21, 2011: Furniture Donation Drive at Mamaroneck High School a Success
- Junior League of Westchester on the Sound: 2010 - What a Year for Furniture Sharehouse!
- The Patch, Feb. 25, 2011: Furniture Sharehouse Helps Families in Need
- The Patch, Jan. 21,2011: Martin Luther King, Jr. Award Presented to Community Service Advocate
- The Loop, Jan. 20, 2011: In the Spirit of Dr. King: Making Houses Homes
- The Patch, Dec. 28, 2010: Founder of Furniture Sharehouse to be Honored for Community Service
- Larchmont Gazette, March 12, 2010: Sharehouse & MHS Partner on Furniture Drive: March 20
- LoHud.com, Jan. 10, 2010: Larchmont volunteer furnishes help to families - with furniture
- Home Furnishings Business, Oct. 26, 2009: N.Y. Furniture Bank Holds Fall Drives
- LoHud.com, October 22, 2009: Furniture Bank Plans Donation Drive
- Westchester.com, October 19, 2009: Furniture Sharehouse Fall Furniture Drives
- Westchester.com, September 20, 2009: Furniture Drive to Help Needy Families
- Rye Sound Shore Review, Sept. 24, 2009: Furniture Sharehouse's Fall Furniture Drive
- Larchmont Gazette, April 3, 2009: Furniture Sharehouse County-Wide Drive April 25
- White Plains CitizenNetReporter, August 10, 2008: Furniture Sharehouse Open for Donations
- Westchester Times Tribune, July 24, 2008: Westchester's Furniture Bank Gets a Facelift
- Larchmont Gazette, May 1, 2008: Furniture Sharehouse Launches "Mattresses for Moms" Drive
- Larchmont Gazette, April 24, 2006: New Furniture Sharehouse Restocks Flooded Homes
Stay up-to-date on all the news about Furniture Sharehouse and the clients we serve by signing up for our newsletter. We promise to keep your contact information confidential.
You can also learn more about Furniture Sharehouse by following the links below.